Saturday, July 19, 2008

Carrots vs Confusion

When it comes to carrots things are pretty easy. You can eat them whole or in sticks, boiled steamed or stir fried, long or round, grated in a salad, dipped in a dip, curried or mashed, as soup or even juiced. I have tried quite a few of these already (I would estimate my carrot intake today to be 6 but I am persevering for more) and intend to make my way through them all.

But there are so many ways to be a Christian, and not all of them are compatible at all. Recently my biggest issue is to do with things of a "spiritual" nature. I use speech marks not 'cause I am being patronising but 'cause lots of things are of a spiritual nature and I am trying to differentiate about issues of demons and angels and all that jazz.

This I think can be demonstrated by the following example, taken from a conversation I was having this afternoon. Satan. Now, fortunately I started the sentence with the name which meant I didn't have to face the question of whether or not it ought to be capitalised. I read a post on Stuff Christian's Like (which is a pretty cool blog when I get round to reading it. You know how some people are more listeners and some more talkers, well I am a blog writer rather than reader... make your mind up what that says about having a conversation with me!) ages ago about this once but I couldn't find it again to give you the link. It doesn't really matter 'cause my feelings on it are much less formed and I am more confused than amused.

The question is, does it give more recognition to the devil (that is not a proper noun so I can rest easy) to capitalise the 'S' or to forsake accuracy for the sake of reducing the value of the word?

And that is where I am at. I am a pretty open minded lady and I have no problem believing in a spiritual realm that overlaps with the physical. We are physical beings and as such there is an effect from the unseen on the seen. I also think there is an effect from the seen on the unseen that my frustration a few days ago is testimony to (see 10 Things I Hate About [insert just about anything here right now]), where my tiredness and unbalanced body left me verging on a depressive episode and I really had to slow down and recoup whilst at the same time praying God's rule over my life (seeing as I had inadvertently let this slip when I was physically under par (isn't that a good thing is golf? What a funny expression.)).

But then I wonder, can we give too much space to worrying about what Satan can do? I mean, call him satan and you are recognising that you are not comfortable to the point of compromising grammar, leaving space for a fear of attack - and we all know that God in the only one to fear.

Words are powerful. But then, so is God. I think He is more powerful so I have nothing to fear... right...?

There exist so many different ideas and, unlike ways to serve carrots, some of them have to be wrong. Like, can we say or do things that bring down 'badness' on our lives? Do generational curses still exist? Or is it all covered by the blood of Jesus without any further issue except perhaps in the most extreme cases? And what is a most extreme case anyway...?

It makes me, as a scientist, very uncomfortable. I want evidence and as I may have mentioned before it took a huge step of faith to accept, well faith. My only axiom is the bible/The Bible and I don't even know the grammatically-spiritually correct way to write that. Do I next have to start accepting/rejecting all sorts of other theologies that I can't see explicitly answered therein? For now at least I just can't do it, so I'm gonna stick with God's love and The Word and hope/trust that by giving my days to Him I am covering all my bases.

I wish it was all about carrots.

P.S. Input welcome at this point by the way...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

carrots, how refreshing. Perhaps it would be even more gutting for Satan if we just didn't mention him at all

Kat(i)e said...

Really? I can't tell if that is sarcasm. I kinda thought that if you ignore him it won't stop his power and just means you are not ready to defend attacks. C.S. Lewis (The Screwtape Letters again, obviously) said that Satan doesn't mind if people are magicians (giving him too much attention) or materialists (denying the realm entirely) as either way they are not defended against him.

I write this over a late night snack of carrots and humous. Oh for simpler times...

Anonymous said...

CS lewis was right to say that I think. So there are two worldly extremes we should avoid. But as Christians I think the name we need to give our all to is 'Jesus'. Perhaps when speaking to other Christians we might remind each other of need to renounce Satan's lies but with non-Christians the need is more for the name of Jesus Christ.


Carrots and humous. Read that as humour- would be a great combo!

P.s no sarcasm
P.p.s saw your sister the other day

Kat(i)e said...

Totally, Jesus is the name above all names and is the good news to be shared afterall.

P.S. I now know who you are. I had guessed as much anyway... it was the Facebook link wasn't it! C took on a sort of P.R. role which made me laugh.