Sunday, June 29, 2008

I left my hearts in Budapest...

...and other random observations.

My trip had been going well, fabulously in fact, until I got to the Budapest train station. Whereupon, though do this day I do not know why or how, something went terribly wrong: I lost my heart-shaped sunglasses. All I know is that I had them before I got on the train but during the course of my journey realised they were no longer there. Gutted. Foolish, much?

I loved those glasses. They stood me in good stead all winter long in the ski season...

(With Caro the day I went skiing without being able to ski and God had to help me down the mountain!)

...and then became my firm friends in the summer too. I have a real thing for heart-shaped stuff and these were far from the exception - they were the fulfillment of my deepest desires! Lol.

I tried to buy them again but they were not in the shop. Then I mentioned to someone today that I had lost them and I was reassured with a "They have them in Topshop, they're everywhere in England, you are sure to be able to find them again". Not cool. TOPSHOP! Do they know what they are telling me? Every 'Rah' from Bristol to Edinburgh (though they're called 'Yahs' there) will be sporting a pair.

The thing is, I am obviously a fashion snob. I bought them in C&A for about 20CHF and I loved them for the kitsch value but even more so for the fact that they don't have that shop back in the UK. The look had not made it to the high street. What can I say? My spiritual gift is accessorising and I take is seriously. C&A is a pretty random shop you know. Some good value, some tat, some regular gear... and then there is the religious body jewelry. Many people ask me how I find my outfits. Shopping, it's a skill; you either have it or you don't I think. However, sometimes it just seems anointed. Yesterday I found a belly bar with a dove of peace dangling from it. Complete with olive branch. Divine inspiration, much? Especially as I have really been feeling God talk to me about peace a lot recently and I think it is a key theme of this summer.

So, in respect of this I donned the dove and went out in the sun today to enjoy it. First time swimming in the lake! I went with dear Zoe and Sara joined us later. It was ace. Some of my highlights include the fact that Z is afraid of 'dark water' and, well, swimming away from the rocks even 3 feet! This became more of a problem when I learned she was also afraid on my behalf. No swimming for Kat(i)e! Still, splashing about was a LOT of fun so I didn't mind. Also, that girl is incredibly funny; if not a little gross. An example is in the following conversation:
"I think I need to pee" - Z
"Well will you go over there to do it then" - K
"Oh Kate... It's too late!" - Z
Darling. Maybe you had to be there... or perhaps not!
Oh, and the thing to fear, apparently, is the currents. The late is full of giant raisins just waiting for you to stumbling into their shadowy lair. Priceless.

My favourite moment, however, was when Z said I looked like someone famous when wet. Random to say the least (especially when said person is Natasha Beddingfield's younger sister?!) but hilarious was Sara thinking that the answer was Jason Donovan! She quickly covered with it being because I was wearing a rainbow coloured bikini with golden trim (I wore my bikini, with golden edging [aha-ah], bright colours wedging [ah-a!]...). I am still a bit insecure though.

So. Think that is it on the random. I just wanted to honour the glasses really as they were sorely missed today.

One last thing, related only because it too was a picture I took on my mobile phone. Rastadog:


I wonder how Wendy would feel about dreds?

Ciao Ciao!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"They stood me in good stead all winter long in the ski season..."
...and terrified every other skier over your well-being.

I still remember the first time I saw you wear them while skying. I can't quite put it into words: shock? disbelief? a deep hope that this is just a joke?

They grew on me. Off the slopes.

Carolyn Whitnall said...

C&A? I hope you checked the UV (A and B) filters...?

(Apparently, sunglasses without them could actually increase the risk of UV damage because your eyes relax or something like that).

Again, feeling bad for leaving boring, vaguely reprimanding comment - so out of keeping with the vibrant, entertaining nature of your blog! I guess that illustrates the difference between us. How depressing.

Kat(i)e said...

Shut up! IF it highlights any difference between us it is the fact that without people like you I would be a total shambling mess, recklessly careering off on an "entertaining and vibrant" pathway to self-destruction in partial (if not entire) blindless... Our differences compliment each other fabulously and I am terribly lucky to have you as a big sister. Not 'cause you are "boring and reprimanding" but because you are wise, interesting and compassion. Love you. Now shut up! x

Carolyn Whitnall said...

Aww, you're so sweet! I wasn't fishing for reassurance, but it's still nice to hear! xxx

Kat(i)e said...

I know you weren't. I was just trying to show the rest of the world what a nice person I am...