Thursday, June 19, 2008

I am the way the truth and the light?

This is the post I started writing two days ago but I tangented off on the background information and there was too much going on to sensibly publish the two.

There are a lot of different takes on the message of Christianity.

For example the other day I saw two men, who looked like they could not really be any older than 20, dressed in matching suits with name tags. The only print big enough to read was Elder [followed by name] and then Jesus Christ. I really wanted to ask them who they were - Google tells me possibly Latter-day Saints?

Then I met my first Rastafarian. That was interesting.

It was of course one of my friends from the JdM. While we were hanging in the park on Tuesday the predominant conversation ended up being about God. Cool. I ignorantly did not consider that given he was from Jamaica and talking about God and Jesus but with all these additional theories might mean he was in fact Rasta. It took me going home and looking up the King of Ethiopia to understand that his ideas were standard doctrine of that faith. Very eye opening that is for sure.

The four of us had such an amazing time. We discussed and debated things on so many levels and I was really challenged by some of what they had to stay. And a little disturbed by other things! Each one of them had very different view points and I tell you what, they knew their stuff! I am glad I got a mini bible for my baptism as it sure came in handy to have it in my handbag. At one point a friend of theirs walked by and said "What you believing that for, it was written by white men?" at which one of them turned round and replied "Don't give the white man so much credit!" The history of slavery and the appalling way that religion was used as a way to quell and control has not left people unmarred. Yet through this still others were denying the theories and saying "Don't let that tarnish the truth of it". Lindell told me that all he really thought mattered was love; and you know what, greater men have said that. I felt God in that conversation and it wasn't just 'cause He came with me.

One cool story from David the Rastafarian. His daddy asked him to go get his hammer and twice he went to look and could not find it. The third time he was sent the father said you better bring that hammer or you will be sorry. Apparently this man was the kind that would make sorry known in a less that passive manner. So, boy-David runs up to his room and prays really hard that God would help him find the hammer. When he opened is eyes it was there in front of him!

A conversation I had the other day with a friend of a friend about what it means to be a "church person" completely challenged me, as a recent acceptor of formal religion, to remember that people who do not follow my beliefs may have a real relationship with the Almighty God. He really is not as legalistic as we paint Him to be.

So. Am I saying that I think people from every faith or belief system have the same salvation as me? Well, I'm going to come out and be all fundamentalist about this and say No. Sorry but Jesus did say "I am the way the truth and the life, no-one gets to the father except through me." However, bearing in mind I had a relationship with God before I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour, I think it is safe to say that Christians do not have a monopoly on being loved by Him.

The way I see it we are all on a journey. There may be things that we do not understand or even accept about what other people hold true, but judgment is not where it's at. All we can do it live our own journey out, show them love and remember God is faithful. To everyone.

I would like to conclude this with a quote from my favourite Rastafarian:
"If you look deep within yourself and ask the question of the Most High, He will reveal Himself to you."
Tell me that man doesn't know God.

P.S.
On the project progress front I have a friend that is a squat visitor/music teacher, who shares my vision and would be here for the long-haul. Also there is a venue we seem to be able to use with people there that are keen to see this happen. I am a little overwhelmed... That said, take everything as it comes. All I know right now is that God is blessing these relationships (saw them again yesterday and we had a proper improv-sesh where they were teaching me to rap!) and so they shall go on. This isn't 'Sister Act' but it is ten times more exciting 'cause it is real.

3 comments:

nate said...

That's an interesting post, and you are right on about Elder and LDS. I had some over to my dorm room some years ago. Once the surface was scratched, there views on JC were pretty far out there.

John Calvin said, "all truth is God's truth."

Kat(i)e said...

I like that. Nothing to add... thanks for the input Nate!

Anonymous said...

moths. They live in darkness but are attracted to light. The little bits of truth in Rastafarianism and Mormonism might be seen as dim lights that imitate the sun at night. They have followers who are missing out on the true light that contains ALL truth.

Note to self. Never read blogs at night...

Keep up the good work Katie