Sunday, June 1, 2008

Dresses, biscuits and other fabulous things...

Ways in which my new dress is like Jesus:
I love it
It is top quality
It makes me feel special
It's worth a lot
I found it in Geneva
I couldn't say no once I'd discovered it
It suits me
It covers a multitude of sins

Ways in which my new dress is not like Jesus:
It may not fit one day
It definitely won't last forever
I need to accessorize it so it keeps feeling special
There is a risk I will grow tired of it
I bought it in a shop (Zara to be specific) with money
It isn't worth everything
It's not great for every season
I don't want to make it Lord of my life
It doesn't cover all my sins

Another analogy using Oreo's:
I am so excited by Oreos. There may have been a time when one may have wished to make innuendos with biscuits (chocolate hobnob anyone?). OK, so innuendos are still fun; but what is even better is a tenuous religious analogy.

I came to Geneva without knowing God. I had heard of Him and had a vague idea of what He was about, but no personal experience. He may have had something to do with my move and certainly opened my mind to His love/presence/grace/promises/salvation since arriving, to the point where I can now say I am a fan. A big fan.

I also came to Geneva having never had an Oreo. I had only heard about them from Judy Bloom's Superfudge but I was not at all sure what they were, in fact I think I had visualised some kind of weird seed cracker. Since my arrival I have become acquainted with their tri-layer, cream-filled, chocolate covered, rich biscuity goodness and remain changed forever. So, likewise, I am a fan of the Oreo.

More importantly though, from watching the British T.V. channels I have here I am overjoyed to see an advert for Oreo's in the UK. They have come to England! Now, I am pretty sure that Jesus was in England before I left but the point is when I go back I will not be returning to my existence before God. Nor my existence before Oreos. All these breakthroughs are significant, permanent and life changing and will not be left behind.

Bring on the Oreos... and the future!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oreos and Jesus. What else?

Kat(i)e said...

Indeed. Everything else is meaningless...

crackers and cheese said...

Haha, I love that your dress covers a multitude of sins! Very true of a good dress :)

But mostly, it's exciting to read the posts of a new Christian, someone who has finally found God, or God found them, and is excited by her present and future with Him! Having known Christ most of my life, it's sadly too easy for me to take sometimes to take His blessings for granted, though I need him now and want to serve him as much as ever. So, reading you experience his goodness in a new and fresh way is just a reminder of what He offers to me, and to all of us :)

Kat(i)e said...

Thanks for the encouragement. It's timing is perfect - or rather Someone's is!