Saturday, May 31, 2008

30 Second Rule

Great news for students and parents of small children everywhere. There has been research done (I don't know who by I am making a blasé statement based upon what someone else told me was true) that investigated how many microbes get onto something that falls on the floor. They studied it over various periods of time and apparently for up to 30 seconds hardly anything does. No more rushing to rescue it within 5 seconds and if you are fast enough any surface is clean enough to eat your dinner off!

Thanks to Miss Spitfire for that little gem :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got a tag? I'm honored. In fact I'm so honored I feel I should live up to my "source" status:

P. Dawson, I. Han, M. Cox, C. Black, L. Simmons (2007) Residence time and food contact time effects on transfer of Salmonella Typhimurium from tile, wood and carpet: testing the five-second rule
Journal of Applied Microbiology 102 (4) , 945–953