Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Good Food Diaries, part I

Well, I think it is about time that I started a regular topic in this blog. If Darryl can do it then so can I.

And one of the things that I am passionate about is FOOD. So this is a chance to talk about classic and new favourites as I remember or discover them (which I have been doing a lot recently). Feel free to share, particularly if you have a good recipe but even just so you aren't salivating alone. I mean, who doesn't love food?!

Today I have no particular recipe to hand, but I thought I would write about nice things that I have consumed recently and that which Switzerland has added to my culinary experiences...

First off, Maple Syrup.

Not what you may have expected granted and I had tried it before with appreciation but never to such extent. I genuinely believe that it is the best thing EVER and goes with just about anything. I was recently reminded that this is an ethos captured in the film Elf which only goes to increase my appreciation since that may well be one of the best Christmas movies EVER as well.

Second, and a partway derivative of the first, is Pancake Dinners. Sausages, syrup and fat North American style pan fried doughy goodness. I almost feel guilty but it is SO good and great for foody parties (N.B. Can also be substituted gladly for French Toast which, incidentally, I never realised went so well with sugar and cinnamon).

Now, clearly I have been too far influenced by my Canadian chums over here so let's got for a bit of European cuisine. It would not be Switzerland without Fondue, and though I have eaten far too much of this artery clogging delight to justify ever doing it again there is nothing quite like a day skiing in the mountains rounded off with a big pot of melted 'mouldy fat' and a stale loaf (particularly if it has been manhandled around the restaurant). The only thing that completes this idyllic day is a glass of Vin Chaud when you stop off at lunch time.

Hmmmm, that is an overload on fat/dairy/wheat-based death so what about for the health conscious moments?

Well, salads with any fruit I always got but have never enjoyed so much and this extends incredibly well to pear in stirfries (particularly when you add a bit of maple syrup). Nothing is better than mixing up sweet/savoury/nutty/seedy/cheesy stuffs on lettuce and my knowledge of this is growing under the influence of dear friends so any recipes (I know there are a few good ones out there... Emma if you're reading I want the one with cranberries etc!) please leave them in comments; or email me privately if they're too good to share!!

I just want to round this up with the fact that I have been lucky enough of late to leave work with some very tasty gifted morsels, which are the partial inspiration of this post. Luxury handcrafted chocolate mini muffins, fresh mangos (they were wow) direct from Indian and only half an hour or so ago I did sup on a late dinner of Sushi - which incidentally I discovered first in Geneva and am so very glad about it that it gets to be put in bold!

Next time I have a good dinner you will hear about it, with a blow by blow guide to recreating the experience (where available). I have decided to learn all about food and so we shall be doing this one together. Unless there is no-one reading...

P.S. Mum, I know you're reading. Please, when you work out how, would you put up some of your soup recipes 'cause they are the best :-D

No comments: