Tuesday, May 13, 2008

One step too far

Warning: this one may seem a little bit more for the ladies.

What with all the pressure to look beautiful these days (resisting feminist urge to moan about the expectations that men put on us being to blame!) there is a bit of a mantra that has seeped into the standard regime of western women. Cleanse, Tone and Moisturise. I read an article once that explained this all to me: we wash (I justified that one myself) but then the pH of the soap and the water is too alkaline (pure water at 7.0 with soaps even higher and skin naturally at 5.5) so our skin overproduces oil to compensate; therefore we use toner to readjust the 'levels' before applying moisturiser to rehydrate since we have no natural oils left. Logical to me, I embraced the theory and will defend it to the death. Or would have if they had not pushed it a step too far...

Convenient for all the beauty product companies that I and thousands (if not millions) of other women bought into this, that we may fit better into some modern day image of attractive. However, I will be duped no further. No more convincing arguments for me, I refuse to accept that what I now need to do is add a 4th step to my regime: 'beauty serum'.

Even the name makes me cringe. How can they seriously market a product that is claiming to be a serum of beautification? It's worse than 'bifidius digestivum' the conveniently named bacterium that aids, what now...? At least that is for inner beauty!

They have pushed it too far now and I am questioning everything I ever believed in to do with these crazy step systems. Clearly the con is on. So, given the flawless argument that previously justified C-T-M, I can only suppose there is a fallacious premise going on at some point. Alors, I conclude based upon all the evidence that the problem is this: we take cleaning as a given. The only reason we need to T and M is to counteract the first so this is my plea to you all... STOP WASHING. After all, there was probably a marketing campaign to get us to do that once upon a time.

How far can you be pushed before you begin to question what you have accepted as given? Oh look, a point!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Enlightening. Disturbing. You've just given my brain cells the equivalent of their daily walk. Hurray!
"How far can you be pushed...?" I guess it's akin though not the same as perspective changing my dear. Like the idea that parallel lines can cross in a spherical plane. Uh. Dimension. Thingy! You know what I mean...
As for washing, well, just because one element is different or even dubious doesn't mean the other elements aren't true. I must insist upon this however bad my arguments are for the sake of b.o.

Carolyn Whitnall said...

Bifidus Digestivum is old news...Bifidus ActiRegularis is the
essential new bacterium (for those who wishing to stay active, and
regular).

http://www.danone.co.uk/activia.htm


You don't seem to have got the hang of tagging yet...I spent ages trying to find this post again, how can you have the category 'Probiotics' in your tag list and this not be one of the things it links to!

Kat(i)e said...

My dear sister you are so right. In both your up-to-date probiotics knowledge and your tagging observation. I corrected that one posthaste but I must say I have been haphazard with my labeling (tagging is FB speak) and now it is a daunting task.

Spitfire, I categorically proved against all doubt that washing is a product of the system and therefore evil. Get over the B.O. haven't you heard of anosmia?