Sunday, June 8, 2008

Amazing Hostel

When that is the name of the place you are staying, and said residence is costing 16 Euros for 2 nights, you may be astute enough to not have high expectations. You would be wrong, this is by far THE most wonderful place I have ever lived and am comparing with my own home, that of my parents and all 5 star Swiss chalet hotels in Gstaad (check me out!).

I was not planning on blogging this evening. At the very least I may have made a note in my journal. I am however so totally impressed with ALL Hungarian folk that I simply had to share the smile with you all.

I arrived well after 930 (local time) after a delay and what not. The airport tourist office advised me to get a 22 Euro shuttle to my hostel but given that I was only going to be here till Tuesday morning (and it was overpriced) I decided I simply had to do it properly. Train, tram and wondering the streets...

My phone battery was dead along with the hostel address so I had to find someone to help me briefly charge it, though only long enough to get the street name. No matter, I was all about being alone and independent in the streets of Budapest. This, I have decided, is the best way to be. There is nothing more exciting than the moment you step into a new place without a clue what you are going to do next, no money and no language skills...

Within minutes a lady on the train was helping me identify my stop. She taught me how to say thank you, I still can't do it but atleast I am trying and I wrote it down so I could practise. At the trolley bus a girl came and asked me if I was ok after she witnessed me endlessly pouring change into the ticket machine (running to the shops halfway through to get more) and stamping my feet in mock frustration. I ended up paying more than the price of a ticket but with nothing to prove as such. All was well though, she assured me they would not check and it was true. In the time I was waiting for my tram to turn up (not including the two that had passed while I faffed about) another lady asked me if I needed help. Atlteast, I think she did - She didn't speak English so I wasn't sure what was going on but there was lots of smiling and pointing at my map which then induced the fourth one so far to offer me assistance. Hence, I like Hungarians. I am also going to firmly believe that it is not just 'cause I look perpetually gormless.

Anyway, mum. I have arrived safe and sound at my AMAZING hostel and am all clean from the best shower I've had in a long time (this could be rose tinted from the fact I was really dirty). It's tucked away inside a really big half derelict old building which even at night is amazing and I think I may cry when I see it in the morning. The staff and resident residents are very friendly and the first conversation they were having was about where in Switzerland the Euro was being held - I think I may know that one (aside: how glad am I not to be there this week...).

I wasn't really hungry (I'd bought a wierd savoury croissant to break a note. I think it may have had ham in which may or may not have been cooked) but one of the residents offered me a glass of wine (gladly recieved) and a a whole pizza (politely refused and then forced upon me until I ate a slice and now feel kinda sick). He is sweet but I not totally convinced by sincerity of friendliness. Maybe wearing a ring on my wedding finger is not enough... Oh well, I turned down the offer (thrice and counting) of him going out to buy more wine and think perhaps if I continue to refuse the dinner invite I will be OK! Arggh, getting into scrapes before I even start. It is ok to lie in this situation isn't it (insert question mark here). I mean, I try to just say no but sometimes I don't think it qualifies as an answer.

Well, I feel totally blessed and protected right now so I sure it will be fine. Roll on walking tours and Hungarian cuisine (what do they eat here anyway QQ).

Laters!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, muchos kudos to your blogging ability, is keeping me entertained in an otherwise rather dull period :)

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Just wanted to let you know that tomorrow's post will address the homeschooling questions you left a while back. Thanks, and looks like you had a good trip!

Kat(i)e said...

Pete, I don't know who you are but I'm moved to tears by your appreciation! Well, grinning like a Cheshire cat anyways: GRIN :-D

Jamie, thanks for that, shall sure check it out...

sam said...

I'm loving ur blog hun!! its making me miss you and ur crazies even more! cant wait to see you soon.. hopefully im there in time for a visit to Geneva before ppl start leaving! hugs! :)

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but their is a tenuous link which makes for being mysterious if I don't reveal it. Needless to say, I like being mysterious almost as much as reading your blog, so keep it up.

Kat(i)e said...

Love it! I hope I find out one day but am happy to enjoy the mystery for now... blogs to follow, loads in my head it's just about getting time with a computer at the moment - not for lack of stimulation that's for sure!

Sam, great to see you on here. Welcome :-D