Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Start of a New Chapter

I wish travelling wasn't so damn stimulating. How am I supposed to sum up my perceptions of Dublin the 20 mins I have to kill before boarding a bus that will take me to a plane that will set me on my pathway to Eastern Europe?

Overall perception on most recent leg of journey? This is the first time I have "travelled" with other people. I have visted with them, stayed with them, crashed with them, lived with them, gone on holiday with my family... but I have never been a traveller in company. I like it. Makes for a different dynamic. It helps that the people I came with were pretty damn cool and very easy going but I must say I am relieved to see the back of them!

Jokes. It has been unreal and I would do it again in a shot. What I really mean is that I am ready to be alone, do some exploring and really fulfill my pretentious side by sitting in cafes writing poetry, journalling and generally spending all my time in internal thoughts. Five days of that should be enough but I do think I am rather overdue: it may have been about 8 months since I last found the time and I could be described as somewhat frazzled.

I do like Ireland. I don't love it but I acknowledge that I am yet to see the really defining features (Guinness factory and fighting aside) and feel like a horse drawn caravan is the real way to do this country. It is a little hard to say, given that I have not been in England of late aside from a 19 hour stop over on Tursday (working on the accent) but I think it may be kinda similar. I could be wrong but it's been kinda cool to feel like I am introducing my North American buddies to my culture - exchanging conglomerate coffee for karaoke (yes it's Japanese but we definitely have our own take on it; more to follow...).

The one mistake I have made is letting other people (namely Nathan) do all the navigating while I sat back into Darryl mode, following and taking pictures (unfortunately my pics are not yet up to Darryl standard but I can pretend). Now I am readjusting by going to the airport 45 minutes after the boys (Robyn and Andrea left this morning and Emma is sticking around with her family) to remind myself how to do this alone. Afterall, I can't leave Dublin only being able to find the Starbucks can I?

The next chapter begins and I am looking forward to it. Budapest watch out...

No comments: