Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool...

Right. Time to tell you about Jardin de Montbrilliant. It rocks!

I hung out in the park today with three homeless Jamaican men. I met them before my trip at the 'soup' (I've never seen them serve soup) kitchen on Rue de Montbrilliant and it was really cool 'cause 'til I did my lack of French was making me feel pretty useless; however, as the token Anglophone I was the only one who could actually talk to them. Today it was like being part of a 'crew': playing musac in the park through portable speakers and improv-ing over the top. Lindell, David, Sharpman and me - Blandie! As in bland. Nice.

We wanted to start working on getting some music up and running in that community. The vision for this came about a few weeks ago...
I first went down to JdM with a group from a local English speaking church and we had such a great time. There were plenty of volunteers and this gave us loads of freedom to speak to people as we served them. The result of this was that I got to do some singing with one chap (he was wearing a Beatles shirt and me a Johnny Cash so we connected on the common passion of music) which was ace! From here we had a proper good party with several others joining in on different numbers and a bit of reggae dancing to the macarena when someone put on the sound system. That was proper sweet!
Leaving there with a big grin I headed to the International School to see one of my students in a play. That place has the most amazing facilities and I have not seen kids in that healthy a school environment, well, ever. Really got me thinking and aspiring for things to be that successful back home in the education system. Moreover, I realised just how stark the contrast was between the morning and the afternoon.
And all this with the new filter of Christianity as well.

For the first time I realised how my objectives needed to be reset.

I have always had a passion for education, particularly with youth, in a bid to see improvements across the whole of society. Seeing communities brought together and supporting one another like 'back in the day' and generally seeking and implementing a solution that would make things better for everyone. A nice healthy dose of idealism. This day I saw a great example of things heading in that direction, that is at the school. I also saw the reality that was people who did not fit into this system. The question of "Is there a potential formula that means we could ever find a way where there will not be those excluded, suffering, underrepresented and generally discounted in society?" was reawakened. I always wanted to believe Yes and my goal was to find a way to see that happen...

But as a Christian I find that the answer is just No.

Not because I am more negative about sin or Satan or anything like that but simply because it is part of our call to look after the sick and the poor and the broken and do as Jesus did. Not to change the world but simply to be physicians and caretakers for the interim. On top of this is the realisation that I am not super woman and no matter what I like to think about potential, I myself am not God.

That is not to say that a) We shouldn't try to improve things. We are a long way from the best we can be and there is still a commitment to care for and love one another and strive for the propagation of this; and b) That God can't do amazing things making the impossible possible by His fabulous power and the work of His Holy Spirit (Wooo! The last member the Trinity finally gets a tag!).
I suppose my point really is that the objectives in this world, when you look from "The Kingdom's" perspective, are different to the secular approach of striving for perfection. Strange that with God I am now less passionate about making everything 'better'.

So. Music? Well, after all this thought provoking stimulation I then went on to have a cool jam session with Robyn and Caro and it was so great me that when me and Robyn debriefed on the rest of the day it seemed 'begging' to be included. Then my hubbie had a brainwave: Homeless Choir! Now, glib cheese aside the vision has become a community based music project, tapping into the individual styles to be found in that place.

I suppose when it comes down to it, with the understanding that there will always be those in need, the immediate call to change the basics of the situation wanes a little. If this is their life in all its fullness why not give a little more than a meal, an occasional bed and a lukewarm shower? Afterall, we all know that God hates the lukewarm.

So, what will come of this we are yet to see but prayers appreciated from all readers that go in for that. (Hee hee, and prayers for all readers that don't go in for that too! Lol.)

Peace out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one Kate

Kat(i)e said...

It's pretty cool isn't it "Anonymous" (with a suspected nasal twang).

But you know, it is all God.

Thus follows a hilarious "It's not that good" comment...

Kat(i)e said...

Note to self: Plan B is NOT to be a detective.