Wednesday, November 5, 2008

You Told Me So (but you didn't say it)

One or two people liked it when I posted a poem before and I've had this really sweet friend of mine (the one that was a direct answer to prayer!) over tonight who was being über self-esteem building about my writing so I am encouraged to put up another one. Feel more than free to criticise but if it's not constructive know that I will just have to ignore you...!

I wrote this one in April I think. It's all about how we can or can't (or rather won't) listen to God and what happens if we don't and, well, it's pretty self-explanatory really.


You never say I told you so
How sweeter could love be
‘Cause often I will just ignore
The truths you say to me

I realise to great extent
The plan you have conceived
But yet when it comes down to it
I’d rather be deceived

Enthralled by all the world’s account
Of what I can achieve
Refusing to take into stock
What I claim to believe

Man’s promises both great and small
In love or while conceited
Through hearts admire or flesh desire
It leaves me feeling cheated

For what can this world offer me
When I call out for more
My thirst is never quenched until
Out of your well I draw

Lord let me not wander too far
Nor wonder on the present tense
Your gift to me is clarity
On all the things that matter hence

Take from my back the false desire
To find what I am seeking
Instead within my heart please show
The promises you’re speaking

The Kingdom of your love united
Pain stands not a chance
But I can only partake now
Without a backward glance

But how well I admit to you
That this is just a song
Not quite an idle promise
But too difficult to prolong

So help me God I need you so
Without your hand I cannot go

The path is only clear to tread
When your light guides my way ahead

Only in you can I be strong
You give the faith that I lean on

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

keep it comeing :)

You are really challenging me.