Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Someone Else's Words

I haven't really got much to say about politics. I try to think about them but I am still forming thoughts a lot so I feel like I don't really want to comment. Which is quite ironic given how much I love to opinionate about other things... I suppose I believe that the God stuff is at least based in some way upon something unchanging and true whereas really and truly I don't know what government is based upon. No, wait, that's not true:

The government is upon His shoulders.


Crap. I've started talking and what I want to say is not at all what I have ended up saying. The above verse gives me a lot of faith in society and how we run the world. Not necessarily in the actual but certainly in potentia. The bible not only tells us to submit to those in authority but also to pray for them and I find that exciting as I think a) How people are intrinsically made in the image of God so why can't we achieve leadership that is at least a semblance of Godly? and b) Prayer works so Duh let's do it and know that things can change where they need to ('cause I'm sure not saying that every authority in this world right now is getting things right).

One specific localised (to London) political issue that is long past (in the time frame of politics) but still very pertinent (as is true with all major news stories that come out blazing then get shoved aside in the boringness of truth) is to do with when someone I actually have a very formulated opinion on in government got shot down. Not JFK stylee, I'm talking 'bout his reputation. You may not even know him or the story but a very incredible man named Ray Lewis, who's vision for young people has actually made a difference and has the potential to do moreso (and I have worked with him so I know), was made a deputy mayor of London. It was fabulous, he has amazing things to contribute in sorting out some really bad messes, given half the chance (not just to do with the link below, that's just a part of his vision). Then it all went bad and in my humble opinion he was left to fend off, by himself, the pack of wolves that is the media while Boris Johnson - disreputed for bigger and far more recent mistakes but equipped with the right PR - didn't support someone that could have made (and I trust still will go on to make) some mighty changes in this country.

I just got sent this link: you should read it. Gives me hope.

I have hope to know that there is going to be a resurrection of this man, fallible yet Christ seeking is his heart and totally spirit filled. Hope that we as individuals and as a church can see renewal in situations that humanly speaking one may dismiss as defeat. Hope to remember to pray for our leaders and to know that we CAN see a change in our nation(s) - some would use the Obama example, I don't know enough about politics to be confidant with that (apparently I broke some law of the internet by not blogging about the election but better late than never...). Hope to make a difference on the BIG scale as well as the small; whilst also having hope in the reminder of the small and significant changes (think about where that kid has come from and where he is now going).

Looks like the crazy extra thought I had does actually fit with where I was going after all. And I have got some things to say about politics. Seriously though, read the link. I was impressed.

No comments: