Sunday, April 27, 2008

Blog-off (and a closet door sprung open)

Hmmm, so this is my first ever blog entry and the problem I am facing is this: I was talking to Darryl today - expert on many things and blogger extraordinaire - about the fact that I was going to start a blog (great advise about not putting anything racy and incriminating on which is ace for my career prospects but does means that the one person who cared enough to read this far just got disinterested) and I made the careless error of saying "I reckon I could find as many words to write as you if not more".
Foolish.
Hence the pressure is on as I make my first and most likely lame attempt at this 'Blog-off'. How I will ever compete with The Yellow Couch I do not know and surely I would do well not to risk trying, but I have a lot of free time of my hands and like the sound of my own voice...!

Why now? You may ask. Having moved to Geneva 8 months ago it would seem logical that I began to log my exciting adventures here so that all the lovelies back home could keep up with the soap opera that is my life. Frankly I was lazy but it's hitting home to me now that I am leaving GVA to return to BRS is a little under 3 months and these days I have friends not just in an other country but in a multitude of them. For those non-faux-Genevoise reading (she says hopefully!) the reason for this is that there seems to be a culture of passing through this beautiful city and onwards; to something no doubt bigger and better but having shared for a moment as part of a living organism, that takes a little of you and gives a little back of something else. A glorifying experience indeed but not without its issues as it threatens to numb one towards a life of loving and losing. Well, I have now decided what this first entry is about: T'seems natural to me to mention in brief (a kind of recap as it were) what it has meant to me to be a part of this organic experience - what I gave, what I took and how ultimately it has changed my life inconceivably loads. I suppose this is me coming out to all my friends back home who haven't heard yet about the changes and discoveries I have made in this land of neutrality, chocolate and reformation.

Someone once said (note the vagueness in this statement) that it is ok to talk to God, it's when he talks back that you should start worrying. Now, I feel it may be a little insane to publish this on the intraweb but I am feeling feisty and proud to say that when I came to Switzerland I met God.

*Taking a moment for everyone from Woodies to shut their mouths; for my mum to wipe her eyes and for the rest to roll theirs, snigger and either say they saw that coming or that they really really didn't, respective to what the last conversation we had was.*

So, I think I will leave that topic there for now, keep you religious nuts coming back for more... Next installment promises a semi-interesting anecdote from my more worldly experiences since I left the cider country. My own brother thinks it is so good it actually isn't true, and he is really cool so he must know (not that I am liar just that it is a good story). I choose it because when Darryl first heard it his reaction was "How does a guy compete with that?" and so I think it has a slightly better chance than some to, well, compete.

4 comments:

Darryl said...

Lol... the blog-off is on! I'm thrilled that there is irrefutable proof that, at least once, I was an influence for good. I will need to show my mom.

Did you know, Katie, that this is my first time being a label on a blog? I'm honored. And not that I'm keeping score, but so far, I only have one less post than God and one more than the queen, which, I figure, puts my in pretty rare company.

Happy blogging, and welcome to the world of complete strangers knowing (and even caring) what you did on the weekend...

Kat(i)e said...

The company may be rare Darryl, but as it includes Pickwick's it is not necessarily selective..!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're already being honored with complimentary spam! If this is not a sign you're destined to great blogging I don't know what is.

Darryl said...

Top five things I have in common with Pickwicks:

- 2-syllable name with no q's
- A bit loud on Saturday nights
- Make a decent burger
- Located close to the tram tracks
- Smell vaguely of stale beer