Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An affair to remember

I just wanted to let everyone out there know that the Brooker-Bright relationship has come to an end. Yes, Robyn moved out today to her new life in a new appartement to be with a lady she has known from way back in Canada days. It's been rather sudden (to me at least) but no-one can truly be surprised. Our happy union was always going to come to an untimely end and there is absolutely no bitterness on my part. My darling, I just wanted to take a moment to remember the good times...

What was it like to be married to Mr B-B? Well, having a husband is rather spiffing. I would get up every morning to send her off to work with a big kiss and sometimes even a packed lunch. Then I'd mop the floors and arrange our social calender till hubby returned home of an evening. Turns out being a wifey suits me. True to the modern 'man', Robyn would cook me dinner (albeit at 11 O'clock at night) then make me eat cake and was truly the best husband a girl could ask for. We may not have had matching PJ's but when I lent her my second pair of red velour trousers I knew it was marital bliss.

There were the things that one may not expect from a husband. Like turning up to church to see them wearing your necklace and shawl or lending her knickers when she runs out of clean laundry. On the whole I think these are happy additions to spously duties. I will miss her curling tongs and the fact that my hair will never again look as good.

An interesting observation about femme-femme relationships is that at the end of the day, you both want to talk about it. We learned to balance this a little, well we more or less just talked a lot. From the rising of the blinds to the flossing of the teeth...

I discovered a lot with Robyn. Never before have I eaten so much asparagus and I can tell you now with honest conviction that it does indeed make your wee smell nasty. I now find vanilla rooibos with lots of milk and sugar to be the most indulgent fabulous thing ever, have hosted more pancake parties than anyone in the history of time and am suffering quite a lot from an unhealthy interest in maple syrup. Additionally are the simple things that make you say "I would never have thought of doing it like that". A broccoli cutting style for example, or eating pancakes frozen...?!

So now with a tear in my eye do I bid you goodbye. *There's nothing I won't miss about you my dear, from the bathroom light always being on to the balcony doors left wide open all day. I have never had such good conversation whilst on the toilet and fear I never will again. However, I go on to be Sassy Single and Satisfied and to prove this point have a cat moving in tomorrow. If I can survive this one night alone then tomorrow will welcome in the reign of Cleopatra. I have a feeling that being a cat-lady is going to suit me...

*[EDIT: originally I put "I will miss nothing about you" - couldn't be further from the truth. Grin.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And this is not mentioning the thrill of all the affairs that may or may not have happened on the side =)

Kat(i)e said...

The thrills on the side were all somewhat remiss... my heart remains true to my Canadian miss!