Sunday, September 21, 2008

Let's talk about sex, baby

My dad was good friends at university with the man that made the rubber ring around the bottom of a condom. Isn't that funny? He apparently blames Jo Brand for getting made redundant. This is because they also made femidoms, the sales of which plummeted when she called them sleeping bags for mice!

Oh the hilarity.

Got me wondering about condoms though and, whilst not wanting to sound too catholic, I'm thinking about how beneficial they have actually been to humanity?

I mean, back in the day guys just used to spill their semen if they didn't want to get a girl pregnant...

Ok, I may have stooped a little low there. I apologise for grossing people out and I know that in a lot of ways (not least for people that are in commited relationships, nay marriages, and don't particularly want to get pregnant or do it the bible way) contraception is almost definitely a gift from God. I am also aware that somewhere somehow we have gotten ourselves into a viscious cycle. In the UK the campaign to get kids to use protection is called RESPECT and can be seen here: part I and part II. I find this incredibly frustrating (though I think I might be the only one) and wrote a rant about it all on Facebook time ago (pre-God I might add). So, lets have a read...

I am fed up...
...of the British advertising campaign that is encouraging kids to use condoms when they are practising promiscuous sex. I get that condoms are better than not-condoms but really you do not get "respect" for using them. You just don't get AIDs or pregnant. Stop trying to get down with the kids so that you can reach them on their level and then try and help them by sticking a plaster on a severed limb. They need to learn from people they really can "respect" how they can best live their lives and then maybe just maybe they won't be endangering themselves every time they feel the urges of puberty and don't have a clue how to deal with it. Isn't it time we took the next generation of Britain seriously and start looking out for their emotional, and dare I sat spiritual well being, not just tackling it based on the philosophy that "we better make sure they don't cost the social and health system too much" and calculate that TV ads and free contraception will cost us less in the interim.

It is funny that we can stand up and say "kids think about drugs, don't just take them cause your mates are and they are enticing", but when it comes to sex not even the 'grown ups' are prepared to think that maybe sometimes we ought not indulge. I mean, yeah it's natural, but so are pregnancy and disease and they seem like pretty good indicators of the significance of the act - it both creates and destroys life and we have come up with a thin latex film to protect ourselves from the consequences. We live in an "if it feels good do it and science is working on ways to reverse the natural consequences" basis.

I am not sure who this type of sex is safe for. It seems merely to be 'preserving' modern society's lifestyle choices and now the kids want to do it too we have had to justify it for them so that we can carry on guilt free. Today's youth are vastly uneducated, unloved, undisciplined, unguided and yet thoroughly overstimulated; and we choose to use television advertisements to offer them frankly shit advice, in place of the parental and wider community support that they are lacking.


There you have it. Idealistic rantings of an ineffective, condescending nature. The videos, terrible as they may be, are at least trying to do something about it; which is more than can be said for me :-(

1 comment:

michael said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I always like to say hello to new people who have stopped by so, hello. I hope you enjoyed what I had to write. In some ways I couldn't tell if your comments were serious in that you enjoyed my posts and agreed with the ideas hidden beneath the sarcasm, or if you were being sarcastic right back. I wouldn't mind clarification so I can accurately judge your feedback.

Anyways, onto your post. While I'm not in Britain, I do know that the problem over there isn't exclusive to your country. It's completely out of control here. In a way though, there's nothing unproductive about your writing. Granted further steps can be taken, but writing about it is at least one step in the right direction.

Thanks again for stopping by. Come back soon, if you so desire.